300 gamers are taking over ITU on April 1-3
The student organization ITU LAN is organizing a weekend full of non-stop gaming, intense tournaments and friendly banter in front of the screen.
Over the weekend from April 1-3, hundreds of gamers are set to take over the IT University of Copenhagen for two days of gaming and tournaments in Counter-Strike, FIFA, HearthStone and other popular multiplayer games. In the gaming culture, this sort of event is known as a LAN party, a name that derives from the good old days when a LAN connection was the optimal way to play computer games with friends in the same room. Today, a good Wi-Fi connection is usually sufficient.
The event will be the largest in the history of the student organization ITU LAN.
- The purpose of ITU LAN is to organize one large LAN party every semester. More than 250 participants showed up for our last event, and this time we have increased the number of seats to 300. The players will take up three floors at the IT University, says Jakob Uttenthal Israelsen from ITU LAN.
The weekend will feature 8 tournaments in different games, and some are expected to be more dramatic than others. Many participants dream of winning the tournament in the popular shooter game Counter-Strike: Global Offense and this tournament is one of the highlights of the weekend.
There will also be several smaller, more casual tournaments in games like FIFA and Rocket League, a football/racing game hybrid. The organizers are expecting activity in front of the screens at most hours of the day and night from Friday to Sunday.
Not only for hard-core gamers
Jakob Uttenthal Israelsen stresses that participation in the tournaments is purely optional - gamers of any level are welcome at ITU LAN. The good atmosphere and friendly banter are the primary reasons why gamers move their desktop computers to ITU for the weekend.
- The cool thing about a LAN party is that you can talk and joke with each other during the game, make strategies together and generally just spend a lot of time with your friends. Participants are a mix of people who like to play just for fun and the more hard-core gamers.
LAN party at ITU
• Takes place from Friday to Sunday, April 1-3
• There will be tournaments in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, HearthStone, Guns of Icarius, FIFA, Dota2 and Rocket League, among other games
• The tournaments will be live streamed here
• Participation costs 7 Euro and all are welcome. Sign up here
• Read more on Facebook