Practical information for international students


Who are the dorms for?

We offer housing to all inbound exchange students (not for Summer University exchange students) and some international full degree students during their first or/and second semester of studies on a 'first come - first served' basis. Enrolment at ITU is a precondition for renting a dorm room.

The residence halls

The dorm rooms are of similar standard and distance to the IT University and the city is easily manageable by bike and/or public transport. We have 37 single rooms and 4 dorm rooms for couples. Only the student renting the dorm must be an ITU student. All of the dorms are fully furnished. See the list of residence halls below.

Signalhuset (28 dorms) 

Signalhuset is located in the area in Amager called Ørestad and is within walking distance to the metro from where you can easily get to central Copenhagen. It is a modern hall of residence built in 2006. Signalhuset is divided into sections which resembles individual apartments. Each section consists of 4 single rooms which each share 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen/small common area. The apartments are mixed gender. The hall of residence has elevators and a laundry mat. There is also a room which can be rented for social events.

The monthly rent varies from 3627 to 3751 DDK plus 250 DDK in service fee. Administration and handling fee is paid once per semester to Housing Foundation Copenhagen. The fee is 7425 DDK.

You can read about the Signalhuset on the web page of Housing Foundation Copenhagen.

Tietgenkollegiet (4 dorms) 

Tietgenkollegiet was ready for the first students to move in at the end of August 2006. Tietgenkollegiet is located in Amager, in an upcoming area with several new student halls and the Amager Campus of University of Copenhagen. You are close to both the inner city and to Amager beach with a view to Sweden. The building consists of 6 floors and contains 360 rooms and the residence is fitted with elevators. The rooms are single rooms with private bathroom and shared kitchens. There is one kitchen per 12 rooms.
Please note, at Tietgenkollegiet you are expected to become a part of the community and to participate in the social life of the residence hall.

The montly rent varies from 4607 to 4938 DDK. Administration and handling fee is paid once per semester to Housing Foundation Copenhagen. The fee is 7425 DDK.

You can read about Tietgenkollegiet on the web page of Housing Foundation Copenhagen

Øresundskollegiet (9 dorms: 5 single - 4 double) 

Øresundskollegiet is one of the largest student residences in Copenhagen with approximately 1025 rooms. The single rooms have private kitchen and bathroom. The rooms for couples also have a living room. The residence has several facilities such as a pool table, table tennis, study rooms, exercise equipment and sauna as well as terraces and a bar. There is also a common kitchen on each floor.

The montly rent varies from 3772 to 3877 DDK plus 250 DDK in service fee for the single dorms. The monthly rent for the double dorms varies from 6205 to 6733 DDK plus 250 DDK in service fee. Administration and handling fee is paid once per semester to Housing Foundation Copenhagen. The fee is 7425 DDK.

You can read about Øresundskollegiet on the web page of Housing Foundation Copenhagen

The renting period

The semester accommodation periods are as follows:

  • The spring semester: 1 February to 14 July (it is possible to extend to 31 August)
  • The autumn semester: 15 July to 31 January 

In general international first semester full degree students are able to rent the dorm for 2 semesters (from 15 July to 14 July next year). Alternatively, we offer you 1 semester with possibility to extend the renting period with an additional semester.

Application process

Exchange students apply for housing along with the application for exchange, and full degree students apply within the following deadlines:

  • The spring semester: 1 November 
  • The autumn semester: 1 June 

Fill in the housing application form and send it to

If we offer you housing, you will receive further information about the booking process and an invitation to the booking system from Housing Foundation Copenhagen.


Residence Permit

EU/EEA students

All exchange students need to get an EU residence permit. EU/EEA students can get this after arrival.

Non-EU/EEA students

EU students must apply for a residence permit to stay in Denmark for more than three months. Please note, if your home country has a visa requirement you must obtain the residence permit to enter Denmark. If you are a citizen of a visa-free country, you can enter Denmark without the residence permit, if you have not received your residence permit prior to your arrival to Denmark. You will find the list of countries with visa requirement and visa-free countries on the web page of New to Denmark.

Application process

The IT University will assist you with information about the application process for the residence permit. Normally, the processing time is up to 2 months. You can have an overview of the process on the web page of New to Denmark. On the web page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark you will see where to have your biometric features recorded. Before you start up the process, please make sure that your passport is valid during your stay in Denmark.

Backpack and camera

Living in Denmark


You will automatically receive Danish Health Insurance when you are staying in Denmark for a period longer than three months, via the National Danish Security Number (CPR). This gives you the right to free medical treatment by doctors and in hospitals. Dental treatment and home transportation is not included. You must have a third party liability insurance and a home insurance to cover your personal belongings.

Non-EU students: Please be aware that the Danish health insurance does not cover you during your first six weeks.

Living expenses  

Living expenses in Copenhagen are on average 6.500 DKK per month/ app. 870€/ app. 745£ / app. 960 $ (exchange rate November 2019).

For more information about living and studying in Denmark:



If you have questions about administrative issues such as your enrolment, registration for courses and applications, please contact Student Affairs and Programmes.

Find our opening hours here

If you have questions about the study programmes at the IT University, please contact The Study and Career Guidance.

Find our opening hours here