With a BSc in Data Science, you will become the next generation analyst — a data scientist with comprehensive analytical and technical skills covering all aspects of handling and analysing data. By deriving key insights from data, you will be driving the decision-making of the future. You will learn to work in interdisciplinary teams and not only make sense of vast amounts of data, but also use your organisational knowledge and market understanding to make a difference.
Businesses and other organisations worldwide are accumulating enormous quantities of data for software or market research, disaster prediction, investment analysis, policy development, artificial intelligence, preventive initiatives in health and much more. However, there is a widespread lack of professionals with the know-how to harvest intelligence from this data.
During the three-year programme, you will receive extensive teaching in the technical subjects mathematics and statistics for data sciences, programming, machine learning, algorithms development, and data management, as well as in social science applications, research methods, data visualisation, communication, and critical reflection.
This will ensure the comprehensive interdisciplinary knowledge you will need as a data scientist. Here are some examples of cases we could be working on:
- Twitter analysis: election prediction via social media topic modelling
- Facebook analysis: detecting friends and enemies in social networks over millions of users
- Language analysis: detecting contradictions in live debates
- Recommendation systems: personalised automated product recommendation systems for e-commerce
- Marketing design: automated accurate target group analysis for marketing campaigns over millions of users
- Marketing analysis: automatic extraction of marketing personas with consumer behavioural and vital data
- App design: predicting user fall-out as an indicator of poor app design
The Data Science programme is taught in English.